Hutzler’s exterior, west view
Hutzler’s Scrapbook Collection
Maryland Historical Society
Hutzler’s or Hutzler Brothers was a department store founded in 1858 in Baltimore, Maryland by Abram Hutzler. One hundred years after opening the original store, Hutzler’s opened a store in Towson, Maryland with other branches opening thereafter. The department store began downsizing in the late 1980s, closing stores until there were none left.
Hutzler’s Palace Building (constructed in 1888), is on the National Register of Historic Places. It is located at 210-218 North Howard Street, Baltimore, Maryland.
Baltimore - Camden Yards: Home Run plaque - Ken Griffey Jr
On July 12, 1993 during the 1993 All Star Game Home Run Derby, Seattle Mariners slugger Ken Griffey, Jr. launched a homerun 445-feet out of Oriole Park at Camden Yards over Eutaw Street. To date, he is the only player to ever hit the B&0 warehouse with a batted ball. Many home run balls have landed on Eutaw Street, between the stadium and the B&O warehouse, and the spots are marked with small baseball-shaped bronze plaques.
Oriole Park at Camden Yards opened on April 6, 1992, replacing Memorial Stadium as the home field of the Baltimore Orioles of Major League Baseball. The success of HOK Sport's retro-style Camden Yards sparked a trend in other cities of constructing more traditional, fan-friendly ballparks in downtown locations. Built on land that once served as the rail yard for the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad's Camden Station, the view from much of the park is dominated by the former B&O Warehouse behind the right-field wall.
In 2007, Oriole Park at Camden Yards was ranked #122 on the AIA 150 America's Favorite Architecture list.